Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Attendance

Hi everyone!  How do you take attendance?  I’ve seen some teachers use pocket charts with cards for the students and some just call student names.  I have used the pocket chart method when I had a lot of wall space.  I don’t have a lot of wall space in my current classroom. 

The way I always take attendance is by using clothespins.  I write the names on a clip.  The clips are clipped to a basket that I have, one for boys and one for girls.  One of my classroom jobs is Attendance Clerk.  They need to tell me who’s clip is still up and they need to put all the clips back up for me at the end of the day.  It is an easy way for me to see who is not here.  This really works, but I want to try something different.

So this year I’m going to try something new.  I went to JoAnn Fabrics (yes again!) and was walking around with my shopping buddy, my son.  We were looking for something that I could use for attendance.  I was going to use the cookie sheet idea I’ve seen on Pinterest.  But cookie sheets are all of a sudden hard to find by me and I couldn’t find a cookbook stand anywhere!


We were walking around and I ran into these.  They are metal and have a stand attached so they stand up.   

I tried showing the back of it so you
could see how they stand up.
Cool, right?!  I got one in blue and one in green (my usual stand by colors).  They also had pink.  They were kinda expensive ($10 each), but I had a coupon for JoAnn's and one for Michaels and then used my teacher discount!  YEAH!

 Then I bought these little bubble magnets.  I was going to make the ones I’ve seen with glass beads, but these were sitting there already done!  I wrote numbers on them with Sharpie marker so that I can reuse them each year.

    

Then I printed the cute owl signs.  One says “Whoooo is here today?” and the other one says “Whooo is  absent today?”  The students will take their magnet off the absent sign in the morning and attach it to the here today sign.  I will still use my Attendance Clerk to check the magnets each morning and to put them back on the chart at the end of the day.  I put polka dotted ribbon in the holes to match the colors.  I put green ribbon in the blue one and blue ribbon in the green one.
         
Here is how they look with a few of
the button magnets on them
             

What do you think?  Are they “owl”tastic???

Tracey J

13 comments:

  1. I love those! I will have to check out my local Joann's!

    I do nothing exciting for attendance. Like you, I have limited wall space. I only have 15 minutes before we switch classes and I try to squeeze in a Morning Meeting. My class just knows to sit in their regular spot on the rug and raise their hand if someone next to them is absent. lol Maybe I'll try something like yours.

    Grade Three is the Place for Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janis. I just linked up for your newbie linky. I'll be posting it soon. I had a problem with a picture though.
      Tracey

      Delete
  2. Umm...I think I am heading to JoAnns tomorrow:) LOVE this:)

    Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tonya. And it doesn't take up much room!!!

      Delete
  3. This idea is wonderful!! I love how your board came out! I want to do one for my pirate theme. Thanks for sharing! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Were the bubble magnets also at Joann's? :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lisa...and yes the bubble magnets came from Joann's too! Gotta love one stop shopping! :)

      Delete
  4. I just found your blog via Janis' newbie blogger linky. I love third grade, and I can't wait to see what else you have to share. I definitely need something else to do with attendance-I mainly do it as I collect homework. I know that my students would love if I would do something special!

    ~Julie
    www.thehipteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE third grade too! I just posted about the newbie linky. I'll pop over and check your blog out.

      Delete
  5. Super cute! I was thinking of doing a similar thing on the side of my filing cabinet.

    Jessica
    Teach on a Limb

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea :) I'm doing something like this next year for attendance. I've nominated you for an award. Come to my blog to claim it!

    Ps. How do you fix the comment setting so you are able to reply to someones comment (Like how you have it)? I've been trying to figure it out and I can't :( I'm so new to this blogging thing! LOL

    Thank you,
    Jessie
    Look Who's Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally figured that out too. Email me and I'll tell you how (it's too long for on here). teachtb@sbcglobal.net
      Tracey

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover