Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Shared Writing Journals

I have used shared writing journals in my classroom before, but the kids never really wrote a lot in them.  Well I decided to change how mine look.   I know there are a bunch of teachers out there who have made signs you can put on journals this summer (I Teach What is Your Super Power has some really cute ones), but I wanted some to fit my classroom.  I used super cute graphics that I know will get my students to WANT to write in them.

I started out making a few and the next thing I know I made 15 of them!  I have topics like:  favorite book, vacation memory,favorite food, third grade, favorite movie, a scary time, a favorite hobby, etc. 

So now that they look cute, what am I going to do to entice the students?  I decided I would start out with 5 and gradually bring out a few more at a time.  You know if I set all 15 out there I would have journal writing overload with my students.  I am going to use this during my writing time in my reading block.  I was also thinking it could be fun if I passed out some and had the children buddy up and write a page together (great getting to know you activity).


Here is a picture of my finished journals.  I just printed the pages on paper.  I trimmed them and then used packing tape to tape the entire cover.  This way I knew they would not get ripped off of the covers or written on.  I know some people use composition notebooks but two reasons why I decided not to:  1) they haven't gone on sale by me yet and 2) I figured the students can use the front and backs of the notebook (and folding over the page for them to write on is impossible in a composition notebook).

If you are interested click on this picture, it will take you to my TPT store where I have them for sale.



6 comments:

  1. They look great Tracey! I have never used them before and can't wait to this year. Good idea to not introduce all of them at once. I hadn't thought of that!

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracey,

    I love the idea of shared writing journals. I'll definitely have to try to implement them this year.

    I'm your newest follower. I teach 3rd too and I love finding new 3rd grade bloggy friends!

    Wendy
    One Happy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I'll pop over to your blog, too!

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of shared journals--I would love to try them out in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully these will spur their writing on! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover