Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Harcourt Trophies

Hello everyone!  So our marble party voting was a success.  Thanks for all the ideas you sent my way!  I had the students list ideas on the board.  Then they voted.  Today we will be fitting into our packed day "Bring something to play with" Party day.  This way the kids can bring a stuffed animal, board game, craft project, or any other toy they want to play with.  I told them I will give them time at the end of the day.  The amount of time depends on how quickly we can work throughout the day.  Hopefully that will spur them on to get at least 20-30 minutes at the end of the day!  Fingers crossed!!!!

Now on to new stuff--- I was wondering if any third grade teachers out there use Harcourt Trophies as their reading series????  As I look around on other blogs, on Pinterest, or on ProTeacher, I don't really see anyone using it.  Maybe because it's not that good???

Well I made some stuff over this long Columbus Day weekend to help out my students.  Right now we are working with Theme 2 which actually has some great stories, like:  Turtle Bay, Balto the dog who Saved Nome, Wild Shots They're my Life, and Rosie a Visiting Dog's Story.

But, unfortunately, the series is weak in skills.  Here are some of the things I made to help my kiddos out. 

 
My students this year are REALLY struggling with answering questions by restate the question in their response.  I made a few of those skill sheets, too.  I typed the question on the worksheet and then used a sentence starter for what I expect their response to start with.  I am doing this for the 4 stories in this reading theme.  After that, I expect them to do it correctly without prompting from me.  I will also take points off after this reading theme if they don't restate it.  I know I'm mean, but our fourth grade teachers EXPECT them coming in knowing how to do this.  And after the first reading theme this year without much success, I'm keeping my fingers crossed about doing it this way!
 
I don't know if anyone uses the Harcourt Trophies series, but if you do, please leave me a comment.  Maybe we could swap ideas??? 
 
Tell me what you think about these skill sheets or better yet how you get your students to restate a question in the response...I would love some comments.


4 comments:

  1. Tracey, that is a tricky thing to get them into the habit. I have been trying to get my yr 2's and 3's into it as well, but I think it is like one of those skills you need to have every week to make sure they remember. I have been putting a question in my writing center every week to try to form the habit. Some of them get it, some not.
    Tania
    Mrs Poultney's Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania, I think you're right about working on it every week. It sounds like you're doing it in a great way for your students! :)

      Delete
  2. I teach Harcourt Storytown. I have my kids highlight the words they can use again in the answer, and that seems to be helping a little.

    If you're teaching about Balto, make sure you find the book Akiak. It's fantastic. The author, Robert J. Blake, has some great books about the Iditarod and dogsledding, and Balto wasn't actually the "true" hero of the run, according to the people in Alaska, because he just finished the race, but didn't actually lead the team for the longest time. Very interesting :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need to check out that book...thanks Jenny! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover