Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Vocabulary and My 1st Freebie

Arrrr you ready to have your students love vocabulary?  My students never really like to find new vocabulary words, but it is such an important part of the third grade curriculum. Here is something that I do to try and encourage vocabulary practice in my classroom. It's called Vocabulary Treasure.  I make a small blue bulletin board with a brown construction paper “island” on it.  You could use a presentation board if you are short on wall space.



 


I have a little island in each corner that I label 1, 2, 3, and X.  Each time a student finds a new or fun vocabulary word in any curriculum area, they fill out a vocab paper.  After I’ve checked the papers over, I pull one each week to post around the map.  When we reach X the student whose paper I pulled gets to pick a vocab game for the class to play.  It can be an I Have, Who Has game, a bingo game, task cards that I made into a Scoot game, or any other game they pick.  The students LOVE this idea.  Not only has it encouraged vocabulary hunting, they are reviewing word skills every few weeks with a class game.  It is a win, win situation.

If you are interested, I have my Vocabulary Treasure activity on sale at my TPT store.  Click on the pirate above and he will take you there!

And here it is...my first freebie.  I had so much trouble trying to figure out what I can give for free and what I couldn't.  I'm still trying to figure out how to make things editable, so I'm sorry-this is not editable.  But you can print it out and fill it in.  Hope you like it!  Click on the picture and you can download it FREE!


Tracey :)

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover