Saturday, August 18, 2012

Class Library

I finally took pictures of my class library.  I have most of my books sorted.  I didn't sort and label my library until a few years ago. I didn't think it mattered. Once I did it, I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. The kids are drawn to the bins and not the white case. I can also draw their attention to a series or an author easier by telling them to go to a specific bin and try some books from there.

I sort my books by:

favorite authors (Roald Dahl, Beverly Cleary, etc),
favorite book series (A to Z Mysteries, Magic Tree House, etc),
favorite topics (animal stories, sports, etc),
nonfiction science (animals, earth science, space, etc),
nonfiction social studies (Revolutionary War, map skills, etc),
math (geometry, number sense, etc).





I also have a ton of books from the school that I put into this big white bookcase.  I did pull out books that go along with my bins, but not a ton of them. 



I used bins from the Dollar Tree in blue and green.  Those colors match the major color scheme in my classroom.  I also printed out library labels that I bought on TPT.  I laminated them and then sticky tac them to the bins.  This way I can change out different bins to meet the needs of my class that year.  Some years the class loves Geronimo Stilton books so I make a bin for that.  Some years it is a Junie B. Jones group so I switch that bin out.  I don't like my bins permanent for that reason.

Do you sort your library? 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover