Saturday, August 18, 2012

Class Library

I finally took pictures of my class library.  I have most of my books sorted.  I didn't sort and label my library until a few years ago. I didn't think it mattered. Once I did it, I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. The kids are drawn to the bins and not the white case. I can also draw their attention to a series or an author easier by telling them to go to a specific bin and try some books from there.

I sort my books by:

favorite authors (Roald Dahl, Beverly Cleary, etc),
favorite book series (A to Z Mysteries, Magic Tree House, etc),
favorite topics (animal stories, sports, etc),
nonfiction science (animals, earth science, space, etc),
nonfiction social studies (Revolutionary War, map skills, etc),
math (geometry, number sense, etc).





I also have a ton of books from the school that I put into this big white bookcase.  I did pull out books that go along with my bins, but not a ton of them. 



I used bins from the Dollar Tree in blue and green.  Those colors match the major color scheme in my classroom.  I also printed out library labels that I bought on TPT.  I laminated them and then sticky tac them to the bins.  This way I can change out different bins to meet the needs of my class that year.  Some years the class loves Geronimo Stilton books so I make a bin for that.  Some years it is a Junie B. Jones group so I switch that bin out.  I don't like my bins permanent for that reason.

Do you sort your library? 

2 comments:

  1. Your library looks wonderful! Feel like making a trip to Kansas to do mine?! ;) Organizing my classroom library is definitely on my to-do list.
    Erin
    http://adventuresinthirdgrade-brown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Erin! I've never been to Kansas (heehee). Good luck on that to do list. If it's anything like mine it is VERY long.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover