Saturday, August 25, 2012

First Week

So I made it!  Two full day institutes and 3 full days with the kids.  I can't believe we made it!  Now if I can just get through with Open House Tuesday night (or should I say make it through the long day on Wednesday after a LONG Tuesday night).

The first three full days - what did I do?  Well, we check in the mountains of supplies, did some fun getting to know you activities, and even had time for some learning.  I usually do different academic assessments to see where my new students are.  You know 5 minute addition and subtraction test to see if they know their basic facts.  Reading a story to see if they remember story elements.

We read Miss Nelson is Missing and shared what a great teacher would look like and what a mean teacher would look like.  We even made a chart showing these traits and what the students would look like to match the teacher (that was a lot of fun hearing what they thought they would look like).


And how was your first week????


4 comments:

  1. We do a Miss Nelson activity like that too! I have them decide if they want Miss Nelson or Miss Swamp and then figure out what they need to do to get a Miss Nelson. I reference back to it all year and refer to myself as either of them depending on how they are acting. Glad you made it through your first few days... we are heading into week 4!
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Week 4???? Wow! I'm already tired thinking of week 2. Probably because I have Open House Tuesday night! Thanks for commenting Gina! And best wishes for week 5!

      Delete
  2. I just finished my first week. Miss Nelson is a great first week book.
    I just posted a first week activity. We practiced choral reading a poem to go with my welcome board. Glad you had a good start. :)

    Tammi
    http://tcbooth.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover