Wednesday, August 8, 2012

SPREADS - a Reading Strategy

Have you ever heard of SPREADS?  It was a reading strategy that a co-teacher introduced me to years ago.  I used it in my classroom, but when that teacher left, the remaining third grade teacher said she didn't want to use it anymore.  I don't know where that teacher found the idea, maybe a graduate class.  If it is your idea, please let me know so I can give you credit for it!

Well, that is going to change.  I am going back to using it.  SPREADS stands for:  Scan, Prediction, Read, Evaluate, Authorize (which I changed to Author's Purpose), Details, Summary.

It works like this.  Before the class reads a story, they do the following:  Scan the story and then Predict what the story will be about.  While reading:  they Read the story and write down and thoughts or ideas they have.  After reading it they:  Evaluate (write 3 questions about what they read), Author's Purpose (tell why the author wrote this story), Details (answer the 5 Ws), and then write a Summary

My class really enjoyed doing this, so I'm excited to be doing it again this year.  They could do in in small groups with me, with a partner, alone, in groups, or they could even do some parts for homework to check for understanding.

Here are the new signs I made for my classroom using cute graphics.


Let me know what you think.  I have this for sale in my TPT store, if you want to take a look.


4 comments:

  1. I like this idea, especially for students that don't always think of doing this for reading. It would keep everyone on track and learn how to become a better reader!

    Mary
    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I liked it for the same reason!

      Delete
  2. I love the borders you used. Where did you get them? I'm trying to find some borders that match my room colors. I need to make some Daily 5 posters to match my room.

    Thanks,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I used Bubbles Frames that I got from a wonderful blogger at http://coffeekidsandcompulsivelists.blogspot.com.au/

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover