Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tried It Tuesday Linky

I'm linking up with Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for her weekly Tried It Tuesday linky. 


This time I'm going to share what I do for Homework.  In my school district, starting in third grade, students loose points for not turning in homework.  If it is late one day, they loose 10 points off of the assignment.  If it is later than 1 day it is a 0. 

I don't usually take a grade for homework, but I do count it for a final grade each quarter.  In other words in each subject, if a student turned in all their homework they will receive 100 % for that subject for their homework grade.  If they miss one assignment during the quarter, they will receive a 90 and so on...

To motivate my students to turn in their homework, I use Super Homework Heroes.

This is my bulletin board where I have signs up for each quarter. 



This is a close up of the poster for the 1st quarter.
 

If a student missed no assignments for the quarter, they get 5 PBIS tickets and a reward card for a prize.  If they missed 1 assignment they receive 3 PBIS tickets.  And if they missed 2 assignments they receive 2 PBIS tickets.

This is really working!  My students want to be Super Heroes, so they want their name on this board. I also send home a note to their parents with their report cards to show them how many missing assignments they had. 

I use to just use a chart to mark off their missing assignments.  Now since I put up this bulletin board I have less missing assignments.  YEAH!

Now go link up.  There are so many wonderful bloggers who share their awesome tips!  :)


11 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! I love the super hero part of it. I'm going to have to think about how to use this in my room. Thanks!

    Tina
    Crofts' Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the superhero theme! I have a superhero themed classroom rules packet in my TPT store and super writer checklist with the same clip art! LOVE it! :) I'm a new follower!
    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa! My kiddos this year LOVE super heroes!

      Delete
  3. I love that your district has a homework policy. I have an All Star Homework chart in my classroom -- although it is nowhere as cute as yours -- as well but it's really up to the students and their parents to choose to do their homework or not. We have no place on the report card outside of comments to reflect their homework behaviors.

    Polka Dots & Teaching Tots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to have the district make the policy...not us!

      Delete
  4. I love that your district has this policy. Homework is a huge issue in our school and it seems that it doesn't matter what grade. The same students are not doing their homework on a regular basis and it is too large of a percentage. I would like to have something that could motivate them! Thank you so much for sharing and giving me some inspiration:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly! And thanks for this awesome linky! :)

      Delete
  5. Super cute bulletin board! I love that your district is so supportive with homework!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to tell you I found you through Holly's linky and I'm glad I did!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for finding me Joanne! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover