Monday, September 16, 2013

How Did You Solve It?

The last time I was at Lakeshore, you know only going for one thing...hundred dollars later you're going WHAT????  I saw this wonderful little box of goodness:


How Did You Solve It? Common Core Activity Cards - Grade 3
Click on the picture to go to Lakeshore Learning.
 
It is a box of 90 cards broken down into the 4 main strands of Common Core Math.  Right now they have them for grades 3, 4, and 5.  What is so special about these cards you ask?  Let me tell you.

I'm going to share with you one of the cards from the 3rd grade box.  It is for 3.OA.5 (and yes the standard is on each card)!  Here is what is on the card:  5x8=5x2x2x2x2  Then it has 2 questions:  1) "Is the equation true?" 2) "How do you know?"

The cards are working out great in my classroom.  I've only used a couple cards, since I just purchased this last weekend.  I'm setting the card on my document calendar and projecting it onto my marker board.  The kiddos are writing their answers in their math journal.  So far...so good.  I love how they have the thinking and explaining part on each card.

I don't know about you, but I'm having a hard time finding math resources to use for common core math that makes the students think and explain.  Have you found anything out there?

And by the way, see...I told you I would post about math!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover