Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Banana Split Fact Families

I saw this really cute idea on Pinterest about using banana splits for fact families.  Of course now that I'm blogging about it I can't find it.  If this is your idea, please let me know....I'm sorry I can't find it.


When I finished up my fractions unit in math, I was heading to division.  So I started thinking....I really need a way to tie in multiplication and division to make my students realize how they are related.  Now of course I could just do regular old fact families, but that wouldn't be any fun.  My class is really into ice cream, so I thought...wouldn't it be cute to make a banana split using multiplication and division fact families???

Here is what I came up with:


My students LOVED it.  I had them work with a partner to come up with a complete fact family.  After showing it to me (to make sure it was correct) they then had to go find another group that was done so that they could quiz them.  They had so much fun!  After the lesson, I put them in a math center.  They were so excited to continue making banana splits!  They figured out the relationship with multiplication and division and all it took was a little ice cream!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover